Frequently Asked Questions
1) Where I can save image of the system. What storage devices Acronis True Image supports?
- Hard disk drives (including all USB and FireWire external hard drives);
- Networked storage devices;
- FTP servers;
- CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R (including double-layer DVD+R), DVD+RW, DVD-RAM;
- USB 1.0 / 2.0, FireWire (IEEE-1394) and PC card storage devices;
- Floppy disks, ZIP, Jaz and other removable media.
- Tape drives (all Acronis True Image products except Acronis True Image 11 Home).
2) What is the best strategy for backup?
See video tutorial for detail illustration.
3) Can I use Acronis True Image to transfer the system to a bigger drive?
Yes you can. Using Clone Disk option you will be able to transfer all data from source hard disk to destination one. The destination hard disk drive will be bootable. The program allows you to transfer your system partition and installed applications to a higher-capacity hard disk.
4) Can I clone my computer from IDE to SATA drive and vise versa?
Yes you can. We may recommend you to use Acronis bootable disc for these purposes. See user's guide chapter "Media Builder" for more information about Acronis bootable disc creation.
5) Can I restore image from single drive to RAID configured drive and vise versa?
Yes you can. You should use Acronis Universal Restore in order to achieve the desired result. Acronis Universal Restore provides an efficient solution for restoration of a hardware-independent system by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Acronis Universal Restore is an optional program feature. Acronis Universal Restore for Acronis True Image Home 2012 is called Plus Pack add-on.
6) Do Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director programs support RAID arrays?
Yes Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director programs support all RAID arrays in Windows and almost all under Acronis bootable disc. There is a probability that Linux drivers (Acronis bootable disc is based on Linux) for a specific RAID array have not been included yet. You can use a special plug-in for the BartPE instead of the standalone version. This plug-in allows you to use Windows drivers for the RAID array when running Acronis True Image from BartPE bootable CD. See page 3 of Step-by-step instructions to create BartPE bootable disc.
7) Do Acronis programs support Windows Dynamic Discs?
Acronis True Image Home 2013 supports Windows Dynamic Discs discs with special addon called Plus Pack. Acronis Disk Director 11 Home and all Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 products support Windows Dynamic Discs
8) Can I restore image made with previous version of Acronis True Image using the latest version?
Yes you can but only using one version back, e.g. using Acronis True Image Home 2012 you can restore images made with Acronis True Image 2011, but we can't guarantee that you restore images made with Acronis True Image Home 2010.
9) Do you provide competitive upgrade from another backup software?
No there is no way you can use upgrade versions of Acronis software to upgrade competitive products to the full Acronis versions.
10) How many computers covers one license?
According to Acronis software licensing policy you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per each machine it will be used with.
11) What is BartPE environment and why do I need BartPE disc?
If some drivers are not recognized by Acronis True Image bootable disc you may use BartPE bootable disc. It is possible to add any storage drivers at startup in the same manner as when installing Windows on the hard drive (by pressing F6 and inserting diskette with drivers). The BartPE plug-in can be installed if you run the installation file, select Acronis True Image to be installed and choose Custom installation (or Modify if Acronis True Image is already installed). Please choose BartPE plug-in to be installed and provide the necessary path.
To create BartPE bootable disc with the Acronis True Image plug-in you should download PE builder from the following link http://nu2.nu/pebuilder/download/
See page 3 of Step-by-step instructions to create BartPE bootable disc.
12) Can I clone separate partitions rather than the whole drive?
No you can't clone separate partitions using "Clone Disk" option.. There is no way you can clone separate partitions using Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 and Acronis True Image programs.
13) Can I upgrade Acronis True Image Home 2013 or previous versions to Acronis True Image 2014?
Yes you can upgrade any previous versions including Acronis True Image Home 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and Acronis Personal versions, Acronis Migrate Easy 6.0, 7.0 to Acronis True Image Home 2014 just for $29.99. You will have to enter both serial numbers (for previous version and for upgrade version) during installation process. UPGRADE NOW
Acronis FAQ. backup storage place, backup strategies, system transfer, clone hard drive and much more.
360 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL, 60601-3805, USA