Acronis Backup Advanced for PC Upgrade Coupon 33% Off Code - backup solution for workstations
incl. Acronis Advantage Premier
Acronis Backup Advanced for PC 12.5 Promo Discount Offers:
HOT! 5% Off Acronis Backup Advanced for PC 12.5 Use Coupon
HOT! 5% Off Acronis Backup for PC 12.5 Use Coupon
33% Off Upgrade to Acronis Backup Advanced for PC 12.5 Use Discount
360 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL, 60601-3805, USA
Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation Review
Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation is specially designed for small and medium businesses to backup and recover non-server versions of Windows with central management capability. The main difference between Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 Workstation and Advanced Workstation is that the latest has the following additional options:
- Backup to tape drives
- Remote management of workstations with management console installed on a separate machine
- Backup catalog. Allows you easily find the required version of data for recovery.
- Deduplication. The software does not backup the same data twice to backup storage, only a link is created to associate the backup with the existing one.
How does Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation work?
In order to start backing up and restoring remote computers you should install so called Agents on them. Agents are applications that perform backup, recovery and other operations and require a separate license, so they should be purchased separately for each machine you want to backup. On the management computer you should install so called Management Console.
There are different types of Agents and therefore different types of machines you can backup and restore:
- Agent for Windows. The following operating systems can be managed using Agent for Windows installed on them: Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP Professional SP2+ (x86, x64), Windows Vista - all editions except for Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium (x86, x64), Windows 7 - all editions except for the Starter and Home editions (x86, x64). Using Agent for Windows you can create backup/recovery of disk and partitions, file and folder backup and recovery on remote computers, recover disk image to a virtual machine (VMware Workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC, Parallels Workstation, Citrix XenServer Open Virtual Appliance (OVA) or Red Hat Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM)) and use Acronis Disk Director Lite, very useful hard disk management utility which includes such options like disk cloning, disk converting, create and delete volumes and change partition style between MBR and GPT.
- Agent for Linux. Data protection under Linux OS which includes disk and file/folder backup and recovery. The following Linux OS can be managed with Agent for Linux: Linux with kernel 2.4.20 or later (including 2.6.x kernels) and glibc 2.3.2 or later, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.x 5.x and 6.x, Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), 10.10, Fedora 11, 12, 13, 14, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and 11, Debian 4 (Lenny) and 5 (Etch), CentOS 5. Note that if the above mentioned OS doesn’t have RPM manager installed you should do it manually before installing Agent for Linux by running the command as the root user: apt-get install rpm
- Agent for VMware vSphere ESX(i). Allows you backup and recover the following ESX(i) virtual machines: VMware ESX Infrastructure 3.5 Update 2+, VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0, 4.1, 5.0
- Agent for Hyper-V. Backup and restore the following Hyper-V virtualization server: Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 (x64) with Hyper-V, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008/2008 R2.
Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Management Console doesn’t require additional license and can be installed on the following operating systems: Windows XP Professional SP2+ (x86, x64), Windows 2000 SP4 - all editions except for the Datacenter edition, Windows Server 2003/2003 R2 - the Standard, Enterprise, Small Business Server editions (x86, x64), Windows Vista - all editions (x86, x64), Windows 7 - all editions (x86, x64), Windows Server 2008 - the Standard, Enterprise, Small Business Server editions (x86, x64), Windows Server 2008 R2 - the Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Foundation editions, Windows MultiPoint Server 2010, Windows Small Business Server 2011.
Another useful component of Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation is called Management Server. What is it for? It is a core component of all your backup and recovery management work. You can use Management Server locally or from Management Console. For example using Management Server you can create a backup plan for several remote physical and virtual computers, manage storage nodes and much more.
When you start install the software you will be asked how you want to use this machine. You have several choices:
- Install Acronis Management Console and Acronis Agents, in case you want to backup and recover the machine and use console for remote backup and recovery operations;
- Install Acronis Management Console and Acronis Management Server;
- Install Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Storage Node, in case you want to use the machine as the backup location for the remote computers;
- Install Acronis Management Console only.
Note that you can check several checkboxes here.
The installation file is about 1.2 GB but I was little surprised when I saw space requirements after configuration of installation components, see the screenshot:
Space requirement is 1.8 GB
Here is a screenshot when you connect to a remote computer using management console:
As you can see there are basic operations such as backup, recovery, backup plan creation, vaults management and disk management. Disk management is represented as embedded Acronis Disk Director Lite version (see full version review of Acronis Disk Director 11 Home) and is used to create, resize and delete volumes, clone disks, disks conversion MBR to GPT (vice versa), basic to dynamic (vice versa).
Talking about Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 software I should mention Acronis Universal Restore addon. Imagine that your computer is unbootable but you have managed to create an image of the system. For some reason you had to change motherboard and some other devices inside this machine. You boot this computer from Acronis bootable disk, restore the image and after successful restoration the system is unbootable. Why? This happens because of the difference in critical startup drivers for such devices as storage controllers, motherboard or chipset. Acronis Universal Restore helps you overcome drivers issue by adding them during the recovery process.
Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation is an excellent backup solution for small and medium companies which aim is to protect computers remotely from one centralized machine. The price for one license is just $99. For additional price you can use 500 Gb of online backup storage to securely protect local, remote and virtual computers. Check more details about Acronis Online Backup.
Step-by-step video tutorial Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation Review
User Guide (4.8 MB in .pdf)
Data Sheet (0.7 MB in .pdf)
Installation Guide (1 MB in .pdf)
Like this review? Share it with your friends!